Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Pantry Challenge Day 4

Well, folks, I'm still participating in the Eat from the Pantry challenge. My 9 yo daughter asked today what a pantry was, and I explained that it is kind of a place where we store food. Then she wanted examples, so I went on to tell her that all of our stored food was kind of in a pantry. That led me to start thinking about exactly how we do store our food, and I was amazed to find that we have a lot of different places where we keep our food stores -- we have 2 freezers in the basement, a shelf for canned goods in the basement, several bins with miscellaneous snacks and cereals I'd stocked up on before, cans stacked in pyramids (or towers, depending on what my 5 yo decides) next to one of my hutches, a jelly cupboard full of, well, jellies and even some homemade pickles and store-bought staples like peanut butter and olive oil, and the bookshelves and other niches in the kitchen that happen to be stacked with food. God is just so very gracious!! That was a lot more than I'd thought. In fact, I even have a plastic bag (like from the supermarket) hanging from the curtain tie bar that contains two bags of potato chips we didn't end up opening on New Year's Eve.

So I do have a lot of food in the house, somewhere. The question then becomes How do I know what I have? and How can I find what I need when I want it? So my goal, after eating up our stores of food this month, will be to re-organize what I have and where I put it. I am trying to be more thoughtful about it and will post my ideas when I come up with a workable plan. For now, though, here was today's menu:

For breakfast the kiddies had leftover white rice (from supper last night) heated with milk, sugar and cinnamon. I had oatmeal with agave nectar, strawberries and slivered almonds. It was filling for me and should keep my glucose levels pretty stable. For lunch all the kiddies had ramen noodle soup. I had to take a friend to the doctor, and he ended up getting admitted to the hospital, so his wife asked if I could stop at Burger King, where she had coupons and we ate lunch together. In situations like that I don't want to be ungenuine in my concern or snobbish about her thoughtfulness, so even though I had to veer off my diet for a meal, I didn't feel the least bit guilty about it. While en route to the hospital, I called my 14 yo daughter and had her go down and see what kind of meat was in the freezer. I had some ham in there that was pre-sliced and bagged into different meal servings (ie, steaks, cubed, etc.). She brought up two baggies of ham that was sliced in steaks, and I used some yellow- and green- split peas I had, along with carrots, celery, onion, garlic and a leek, plus a little salt and pepper, to make a split pea soup. Because I personally do not eat pork products, I cooked the ham separate and added it to each serving bowl. This made the meat actually stretch a little further, and I didn't have to flavor my own serving of soup with the ham (though I have to admit it smelled really yummy!). For bed snacks the kiddies had ice cream. I snacked on a peeled and sliced cucumber off and on all day (small slices!) and was pretty satisfied. I also drank a LOT of water today, which is really nice because with the heater on this time of year I often feel my skin wanting to dry up.

I hope you are all enjoying God's faithful provision. God bless you and keep you!
~mary

No comments: